Thank you for registering for AFIRM Module: Picture Exchange Communication System for 3 Continuing Education units (CEs).
This online self-paced module is designed for professionals who work with and/or support autistic learners and their families in a variety of learning environments.
In this AFIRM module, based on the 2014 NPDC EBP Report, professionals will learn basic information about this practice, as well as how to plan for, use, and monitor this practice.
This practice is included in Augmentative and Alternative Communication
in the 2020 NCAEP EBP Report which are interventions using and/or teaching the use of a system of communication that is not verbal/vocal which can be aided (e.g., device, communication book) or unaided (e.g., sign language).
In this AFIRM module, Picture Exchange Communication Syste
m, learners are initially taught to give a picture of a desired item to a communicative partner in exchange for the desired item. PECS consists of six phases which are: (1) "how" to communicate, (2) distance and persistence, (3) picture discrimination, (4) sentence structure, (5) responsive requesting, and (6) commenting.
- Any computer with high-speed internet access
- Create a free AFIRM user account (afirm.fpg.unc.edu)
- Complete the Prompting module prior to taking this module.
- Complete the Reinforcement module prior to taking this module.
- Complete the Modeling module prior to taking this module.
- This module is designed for individual participants.
- Upon AFIRM account creation, each participant will have unlimited access to all AFIRM modules and resources.
- This module is not intended to take the place of training and resources on PECS provided by Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc. Please visit the website: www.pecsusa.com for information on resources and training. The information presented in this module should be implemented under the supervision of a trained professional.
- In order to recieve your CE Certificate, be sure you have
- Completed the module content
- Scored at least 70 in the post assessment
- Completed a module evaluation
- NOTICE: The registration fee for this module is NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Have your credit card information on hand before you continue with this registration. Only VISA or MasterCard accepted.
NOTE: If you have found this course through the UNC Event Registration System, you will need to go to the AFIRM website (afirm.fpg.unc.edu) to register and take the Picture Exchange Communication System module. Once you complete the module, you will have the option to pay for the CEs through the UNC Event Registration System.
SAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
Within 45 days of receipt of payment, after confirmation of completion of module requirements, your 3 CEs certificate for AFIRM Module: Picture Exchange Communication System from AFIRM will be emailed to you.
Please ensure that we have your full legal name, a valid email, and your BCBA membership number. This information is needed for the CE Certificate.
If you have questions about registering or obtaining your CEs, please email the AFIRM Team at: email@example.com